Thursday, May 03, 2007

Sweepin' the Clouds Away

You Are Big Bird

Talented, smart, and friendly... you're also one of the sanest people around. You are usually feeling: Happy. From riding a unicycle to writing poetry, you have plenty of hobbies to keep you busy. You are famous for: Being a friend to everyone. Even the grumpiest person gets along with you. "Super. Duper. Flooper."


I was thinking about Snuffleupagus, Big Bird's imaginary friend on Sesame Street. He was by far my favorite character. Apparently he's still on the show, only he isn't imaginary anymore. Sometime in the mid-80s the writers decided that it was a bad idea to teach kids that adults might not believe them. So, Snuffy came out of the closet and there he has remained.

While trying to find out what ever did happen to Snuffleupagus, I found this fun Sesame Street personality quiz that tells you which character you are most like. I wasn't exactly thrilled about turning up Big Bird - he's so uncomfortably tall and his snore could wake up the neighborhood - but I guess it doesn't hurt to be the "sanest" person around.

Here's some other fun facts I learned about Snuffy:
-His first name is Aloysius
-His grandmother lives in Cincinnati, Ohio.
-The species was indigenous to Hawaii.
-He won "Longest eyelashes for a fictional character" in the Guiness World Record Books
-He has a younger sister named Alice.

Thinking about Snuffleupagus just reminds me that my son is growing up in a different world - one where a wonderfully complex Grover with his awkward speech pattern and a propensity to faint is giving way to the googly-eyed Elmo .. . a world where kids probably don't even watch Sesame Street anymore what with Nickelodeon and the Cartoon Network running kids' programming 24-7. When I was of the Sesame Street watching age, we got 26 channels with cable (only 13 actually aired programming). PBS aired two hours of childrens' television a day - Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, 321 Contact and the Electric Company. I always had to turn off the TV after Mr. Rogers, unless I pretended to fall asleep on the couch. I wasn't very good at faking though. My mom only had to smile at me and I blew my cover.

Of course, we don't even have tv right now, so I was thrilled to discover that when the time comes I can rent the original "Old School" Sesame Steet from Netflix, complete with Super Grover, Mr. Hooper and imaginary friends.

8 comments:

Sarah Q said...

I'm Oscar the Grouch. Feels about right these days. http://www.blogthings.com/thesesamestreetpersonalityquiz/outcome.php

oh and you can rent fraggle rock too.

jamie said...

I was a weird kid... apparently the Count was my favorite. I would go into hysterics (the happy kind) whenever a Count sketch was on. Off to take the test....

Chillable said...

Disappointingly, I am Elmo, who wasn't even a character when I was watching Sesame Street! And he's annoying, to boot. But actually, the description doesn't sound too far off: talkative, always talking about something or nothing. Sometimes my husband can't get a word in edgewise, and he's a REALLY social person.
For all the rest of you Elmo haters out there (or just plain sadists), here's something I wish I'd thought of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYGhmJD9LKc

Afternoon Stache said...

Care to guess who I turned out to be?

Anonymous said...

I'm Bert. I never liked him. Hmph!

kitty said...

i had a major thing with snuffy, too. my parents even played along with his imaginariness - which made me bonkers. modern day sesame isn't so bad. there a great segment called 'dr.fffeeeeelll' that a very funny rip on dr. phil.

Sarah Q said...

Ross, are you Bert?

Reid said...

He is Bert! Good call Q.