Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Stayin' Alive

It is quite possible that I am the only one that finds my son so hysterical. I videotaped Sawyer for 20 minutes yesterday while he walked around the house with a cup in his mouth, breathing heavily into it and alternating between playing the cup like a trumpet and shaking his head around like a stumpy elephant. Pretty much all you can hear on the video is my cackling. I'm not sure that, in retrospect, it was really all that funny. But, you have to give me this. Now that Sawyer is walking on his own, he holds his two fingers up in the air (as if he was still holding on to somebody). Toss in the but wobble and he looks like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever. Now that is funny, right?

Sawyer turned 11 months last Thursday. It's is my scary baby age, like 39 may be for someone nearing "the hill" or 64 for somebody about to qualify for social security. 11 months means that a year has almost gone by, leaving me in a dust cloud of should'ves and would'ves, scrapbook projects undone and family field trips not yet taken. My cuddly, snugly baby has morphed into a toddler who'd writhes and wriggles to free himself of my arms, preferring now to explore and discover the world on his own. The only thing I can truly say I am looking forward to about 12 months is saying farewell to formula and rear-facing car seats.


With the count down to one year in progress, here are 11 things we have learned about Sawyer:
1. He'd rather be naked.
2. He may still be bald in preschool.
3 We think he's going to be left-handed.
4. When he's happy and he knows it he claps his hands.
5. He prefers bread to any other food-related product.
6. He prefers paper to bread.
7. He may be a vampire. He's growing pointy fangs which he likes to sink into the soft and tender skin on people's necks.
8. He can walk but prefers to crawl sideways like a crab.
9. His first real word, other than 'dada', was truck. But he could be saying duck. Which would make sense when he hurls the truck in my direction. Other words he's working on: Hi. Justin (Ja Ja). What's That? (Whasss-aa). Dog.
10. He has a truly frightening passion for his Nuk. And.
11. He understands, literally, the concept of: 'If you pat my back I'll pat yours."

1 comment:

Sarah Q said...

I feel like I just emerged from a black hole to discover . .. Sawyer walks! Such exciting news! And i too found that there was much joy in greeting the 1 year mark, but also some sadness. Maybe that's being a parent. Maybe that's life. I wish i could be there to hug you all.