Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Drumroll please

My brother called last night to complain that my last post was 'depressing.' Speaking on behalf of second children everywhere, he said that I should never let the baby read it. Funny, when I wrote the post I thought it was honest and witty, ending on a hopeful note. Oh well. I am, in fact, very happy that the fifth member of the Pierce Posse is on its way. At the same time it feels like our little family is floating down a river; the current is slowly start to pick up and far off in the distance I can hear the unmistakable roar of a waterfall. But, I have no idea what will happen when we hit that crest. And, that's the truth of it brother. If having your first baby is thrilling and a little scary, having another so soon is nothing short of petrifying.

As to whether "Five" will ever read any of these posts remains to be seen. Perhaps the Internet will be obsolete by then, and we will all wish we had backed up our blog entries. I, for one, have not printed or framed a single photo of Sawyer and don't even have a scrapbook waiting in the wings to be worked on.

So we leave in a few hours for our ultrasound in Richmond. While Scott is convinced its a girl, and my dad refuses to say because he was so wrong last time (but he will swear he knew it when I get home), I am not going to venture a guess. All I can say is that this baby is far more mellow than the last.

When I was 21 weeks along with Sawyer, I wrote: "My baby update this week noted that I may soon feel like my baby is practicing martial arts as his initial fluttering movements turn into full-fledged kicks and nudges. I actually got my first hint that I was having a boy when he started moving at 17 weeks-- the movements never felt so much like a butterfly as a bat trapped in a box. Now the jabs can be felt through my clothing and Scott got his first good kick last night - at long last, enough of the 'I think I felt something's.'"

Now, 21 weeks along with Five, I haven't even attempted to get Scott to feel because the movements are far more subtle, though constant. There's no martial arts or limbs poking through clothing. I just get the feeling that the baby enjoys floating around in there - sorta like a surfer catching waves.

I remember wondering if Sawyer's personality in the womb would be anything like his personality later on. Well, I can report that he has been on the go ever since. I kinda hope - for our sanity - that Five's mellowness translates as well.

STAY TUNED!!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

WELL??? The waiting is killing us...