Sunday, November 15, 2009

SAHD — Week 3.



Scott had some concerns about me posting this video. I think his exact words were: "Don't you dare put that on your blog." But, I couldn't help it. I had to show how well he's fallen into the SAHD (Stay At Home Dad) role these last few weeks. (Did I mention that we pulled Arden out of daycare temporarily?) He's taken Arden to storytime at the library every week and is keeping track of which books he borrows. Last week, he even checked books out in a theme . . . books about snow. I can see his enjoyment of reading with the children growing. He cooks dinner every night – and not just mac-n-cheese and chicken fingers. He cooks pot roasts and soup and pork chops, and I am finally packing on some much needed winter pounds. He knows the location of all the playgrounds in the valley. He's potty training Arden and already has her in underwear. He's even figured out the benefit of "The Schedule" and has got it down to a science. I think the nice part of being the working mom is coming home and KNOWING that the other parent, the one who stayed at home, had a full and totally exhausting day. Sometimes, when I see how much work it is for the two of us to get everyone to bed and dishes cleared and the house straightened, I wonder how I did it by myself for so long. I don't underestimate for one second how much work it is to stay at home alone with the kids all day. And, that said, after two weeks Scott said he doesn't really know how much more of this he has in him. He sent off about 15 resumes and began the search for work in earnest. But, I think he's over the hump, now. It does get easier after that whole routine thing kicks in and everyone gets used to the new m.o. I think he's better at this than he realizes. Today, after I cut him loose for some personal time, I heard him upstairs whistling in the shower. The tune that drifted down the stairs was quite distinct: The isty-bitsy spider went up the water spout . . .

1 comment:

Sarah Q said...

go scott! i'm at home with one and i don't cook dinner (except chicken nuggets for Addie). then again, i hate cooking. a lot.