Monday, May 30, 2011

Sawyer's a girl

I'm so far past the point in my life where I sit around thinking of baby names for my own future children. Occasionally, a pregnant friend will humor me for a moment as I make a few suggestions for their babies ... Harper, for instance, is a name I would definitely consider for a girl (although I think it made Top 100 this year, of course). Or Maeve. Boy names are always tougher. It's just a more traditional line of thinking — heck, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John still make the annual list. I like James ... as in Jesse James. No nickname. Tough and western. (Jesse, sadly, was stolen forever by girls back in the 80s.)

So, there are four Sawyers in Granby. A town of 1,200 people. One is in high school. One is the same age as my Sawyer. The fourth we call 'Little Sawyer.' He's a few years younger. But, lately, I've had several people tell me they considered Sawyer as a name for their little girl. Funny they should mention that. I just went onto the website of my favorite baby name book ... it has this cool dynamic name chart ... and it turns out that Sawyer skyrocketed last year as a girl's name.


Arden's heyday was as a boy's name back in the Victorian Era ... probably when people actually read Shakespeare. Happily, we have yet to meet another little one here. I do have a friend from Leadville named Arden — awesome woman. While it was just a coincidence that we chose that name, I'm proud to have her be the namesake. Funny enough, she married a guy named Reed.

4 comments:

Jami said...

I recall we discussed Max about a week or so before he was born.

JB said...

I have been surprised that all the other Casey's we have met around Casey's age are girls - Kaci, Kasey. Sort of bizarre!

Wendy said...

I know someone who wants to name their future daughter Chase. Since there are now, hundreds of Chase's everywhere I turn, it must be the next step. I know one other Ryder. It's a boy. I do not know nor ever met another Turner. But, a few months after he was born I got a magazine that had "cool" names. Top 10 of all different categories. Up and Coming for girls....Turner was #3. WTF?

Chillable said...

We know a Harper and a Jesse --both boys--here in Bend. I'm not getting the Sawyer for a girl thing, but I guess anything goes now.