Monday, July 23, 2007

One.


sailor boy smiles, originally uploaded by Reid Pierce.

Sawyer crossed the 365-days threshold Saturday. I couldn't resist the opportunity to dress him in this outfit, which Scott described as "dorky." Scott decorated a cake with sailboats on keel, breaking through the choppy water. He swirled blue icing in with the white and clear sparkles to give the water a realistic look. It was so cool. I never got weepy, but it was a strange feeling to stand at the mirror just before midnight Friday and think that at that very moment last year I was about to start pushing. I can't even remember who that girl was. Life before Sawyer seems to have dissipated into some faint outline of a memory. I remember being so excited to meet him. In the past year I've learned that my son is both shy and comical. He never ceased to amaze me with his sense of humor – something I never really possessed as a child. He must get that from his dad. But, like me, he is shy and looks like a deer caught in headlights whenever we are around new people or in a new place. He is sensitive and often burst into tears when we tell him 'no.' But othertimes he just agrees, shaking his head back and forth . . . no, no, no. He has an adventuresome spirit and loves to explore the house and the world outside. But, so far, is afraid of noisy toys and scrambles frantically up my chest and and over my shoulder when I push a noisy button. One thing we do know - he's a good eater. He can mack down two hot dogs, an entire bagel or a bowl full of pasta. I'm looking forward to getting to know him even better in the next year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goofy outfit and all, I can't believe how time has flown. Sawyer is such a big boy and I love him dearly! I wish I could slow time down sometimes, a year passes so quickly, I don't want to miss a minute.....I love you son!

Anonymous said...

Sawyer, you were even cuter in person. It made me go home and watch old videos of my daughter. Happy first birthday buddy!

jamie said...

so crazy that all of these babies are transforming into little people. wonderful little people. happy birthday, sawyer!

Sarah Q said...

happy bday big guy! We wish we could have been there (you are so going to hate this photo when Reid shows it to your fiance or to the UVA football coach when the time comes.)