Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Summertime

(Photo removed because too many people were looking at it. Started to wig me out).

Every day we are reminded that Justin is entering his 'tweens' - that awkward stage between being a child and being a teenager. He turns 10 next month, and his interests are shifting away from action figures and cartoons and towards things like Ipods, girls and teen magazines with pullout posters of Justin Timberlake and Chris Rock. Style is suddenly very important to him and he covets his brand-name clothing (Volcum, Hurley, Billabong etc.) He's grown his hair long and shaggy like a lot of the young kids are wearing it these days - very reminiscent of the 1970s. Scott is constantly pushing it to the side so we can see his eyes. From the eyerolls, shoulder slumps and sighs we sometimes get when we ask him to do something to the chicken he hides in his napkin at dinner time, it's clear that this kid is developing a will of his own and beginning to test the boundaries. It's all a normal part of growing up and becoming his own person, although it reminds all too often that those teenage years are looming right around the corner. The other clear sign that times are a changing are the number of girls that swoon over Justin. I still think he's oblivious when it comes to the girls' affections - especially toward the five and six year old girls who are so clearly lovestruck. But last night, when Lydia (a friend from camp and the granddaughter of one of my coworkers) asked him to ride the ferris wheel with her ALONE, he seemed eager. He even used his own tickets to pay her way. Her grandmother reported to me the next day that Lydia told him she liked him and that he rested his arm on the seat behind her. But when I look at this picture - Justin scrunched all up in the corner, Lydia looking SO uncomfortable with her arm across her lap, it reminds me that they are still just kids. Here's to holding onto youth and innocence as long as possible.

5 comments:

Chillable said...

Gosh, this post makes me feel all funny inside---like Lost Youth meets Dread (Over Baby Growing Up). It boggles my mind that 10 year olds are already thinking about the opposite sex. I'd swear I was 12 before Shawn Cassidy was even a glimmer in my eye! But then, kids are doing everything earlier these days, huh?
Anyway, look out--Justin is a little hottie and your phone is NEVER going to stop ringing. Teenage girls are relentless!

kitty said...

look at that little girl! i mean, i'm a mom and even i think she's smokin. no wonder he's all geeked out.
and my god, how cute is he? so so cute. i think i might have a crush on him, in fact.
justin, will you go with me? (check yes or no).

Anonymous said...

stay gold forever ponyboy. stay gold.

Afternoon Stache said...

love the anonymous Outsiders reference. not sure about the "teenage girls are relentless" though. well, at least that wasn't my experience. Of course I wasn't a barefoot, tan, SoCal surfrat. I was asked to a dance by a girl in my 5th grade class, to which I eagerly accepted, only to be too nervous to even say hi to her the entire night. Sidenote: Reid, they both might look nervous because you are completely embarrassing them by taking a picture. Who knows what happened when that thing stopped at the apex.

Anonymous said...

Okay who busted out the pony boy comment? It ROCKED! I don't think I can sum it up any better!