Saturday, November 24, 2007

Deck the Halls


Decorating cuteness, originally uploaded by Reid Pierce.

Decorating a Christmas tree provides an entirely new challenge when a toddler is in the picture. My tree, as a result, looks a little top-heavy this year. All my glass balls and fragile decorations hang above the three foot mark. Below the mark are all the hardy ornaments that can be pulled and prodded by curious little fingers. That said, we are having "gentle" lessons, learning to pat the tree nicely and point to the ornaments rather than trying to CRUSH them with our pincer grasp. The big shock to anyone who knows me should be that my tree is decorated (and it's not even December!) Scott and I are famous for marauding through the woods a week before Christmas to pilfer a sapling that would make Charlie Brown proud. Maybe it's the new house. Maybe its this pregnancy thing (I've also been baking a lot lately - very uncharacteristic). But I was gung ho to get the tree done this weekend. Haven't done a lick of shopping and don't plan to set foot in a store this year. No Black Friday for me. So, if you want a gift, send me your Amazon wish list. I intend to purchase every last item online and have it sent, gift wrapped, direct from the store; or bake it. I may be decorating trees a month early and clipping cookie recipes, but a pregnant woman has to draw her boundaries.

Sawyer seems to be picking right up on this whole Christmas bit. Indeed Santa holds some sort of magical power over all children. To distract Saywer during the decorating process, I handed him an old Santa Claus Pez dispenser. I told him it was Santa, said Ho-HO-Ho. He walked around chewing on it for about 20 minutes and then discarded it. Before bed, I busted out The Night Before Christmas. When we got to the page with a pop-up Santa Claus, Sawyer scrambled out of my lap, bee-lined across the room, picked up the Pez dispenser and started running around the house saying 'Ho-HO-ho.' He got it. That fast. Blew me away.

Scott was charged with documenting the decorating process. He snapped away wildly, but when I downloaded the photos, there was hardly a single photo with my face in it. I'll spare you the details. Here's me, with six weeks of baking to go:



1 comment:

Sarah Q said...

i think you look TINY for only having 6 weeks to go. could be less too - christmas baby? no sign of baked goods anywhere on you. of course my coworker just had a 9 lb baby so i might have a distorted perspective. we'll be decking our halls next weekend. right now our gourds are still in good shape and we haven't finished the leftover turkey.