Saturday, December 15, 2007

Anticipation

Three weeks until this chick hatches. I had my first under the hood check up Monday and there is NOTHING to report. Nada. Zilch. Which is fine by me. Funny thing about second babies. I'd be perfectly content to be pregnant for another nine months. If you can ignore my complaints about not being able to breathe, having my ribs bruised from within, indigestion, back pain, sleepiness accompanied by sleeplessness . . . well then I am really a chipper mother-to-be. Right now, she's well fed. Her diapering needs are all taken care of. She sleeps when she wants to. She never cries. I don't have to do anything and life can just continue on like it is - so long as she remains unhatched.

It's not like that the first time around when you are so excited you just want them to be born yesterday. I looked around my house and panicked because if I went into labor tonight my neighbor, who is designated middle-of-the-night emergency person, would discover my inner slob. And there was no gas in the car. Scott gave me a good talking-to about that. I don't have extra dog food, the crib is in pieces, my car needs detailing and, dammit, I need a haircut. I am JUST NOT READY. Which is exactly what concerns me. Murphy's law dictates that, were I completely prepared, I could guarantee at least another three weeks of pregnancy. Given the current state of my life, I'll be lucky to make it through Sunday.

No comments: