Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Bike

Last year for his 2nd birthday, Uncle Ross and Aunt Niki gave Sawyer this bike. When I opened it up - and it came from some Swedish manufacturer with no instructions - I had no idea what the point was. It just looked to me like a nice wooden bike with no pedals. Ross and Niki explained that it a training bike that teaches balance so that someday when he graduates to a big boy bike he won't need training wheels. (Here's a whole website dedicated to run bikes). Ross and Nik were very excited about the concept. But, for a long time the seat was too tall for Sawyer and he had to tip toe to reach the floor. He wanted to ride it so bad and it was such a compelling hazard that I had to stow it away. So we didn't get full appreciation until a few months ago when the weather warmed. And I haven't had a chance to personally thank Ross and Niki. I cannot begin to explain how amazing this thing is. Sawyer zoooooms around the yard like it has breaks or something. He goes so fast on it, we insist he wear a helmet. Scott said that shortly after I shot this video Sawyer went down the hill holding his feet up off the ground and balanced perfectly.



There are many humorous things about this clip: 1. the length of our grass. its not biking it bushwhacking. 2. scott's commentary. 3. Justin's final comment. 4. my inability to hold the camera still (sorry - still learning this video thing) Anyway, I'd like to dedicate this blog post to Uncle Ross and Aunt Niki. For the BEST PRESENT EVER.

8 comments:

Afternoon Stache said...

Sorry he had to wait so long to ride it...I know it was torture. But birthdays come but once a year. Very glad that he didn't outgrow the thing during a winter growth spurt.

Wear your helmet Sawyer! And Justin, listen to your dad! Well, don't listen to what he's actually saying, absorb the point (i.e. forget the donkey, remember to keep bike out of rain).

Reid said...

He still has two more notches to grow with.

Chillable said...

good endorsement for the balance bike! I've been considering the Strider Running bike and now I think I'll make the move!

Chillable said...

p.s. I think Justin has a really good point: "Then how could afford a donkey??"

Love it.

Niki said...

Yes, Sawyer, listen to your Uncle Ross. Because he is the embodiment of safety when it comes to all physical sports. Ahem... dislocated shoulder, broken clavicle, blown out illiatibial band. But I digress...

I'm glad you are enjoying your bike! You'll have to teach your little cousin, Kieran, some tricks. So long as you both promise to wear helmets.

Love, Aunt Niki

kitty said...

SOLD! looks like so much fun! and i was laughing out loud at scott. good one, r!

Sarah Q said...

i've been wanting one for ages but thought addie would be too short for it. we opted for a scooter instead for her bday but maybe christmas santa will bring a balance bike!

K*Funk said...

I love the video! What a big boy! My nephew has a wooden bike like that and it really has helped him learn to ride a regular big boy bike. By the way, I finally watched that Nanny 911 video. I was afraid it was going to say sippy cups were teeming w/ germs or something like that. I really don't see the difference w/ those straw cups. MJ will drink out of either one! Are they really that different?