Saturday, May 15, 2010

House of hand-me-downs


Like this old ammo box that's full of letters and cards.


And my great grandmother's sewing machine that's filled with wooden buttons and 5 cent wooden spools of thread and an instruction book that's turned oily brown it's so old.

But here in the dry climate of Colorado, wood so easily dries out and cracks. I could go through an entire bottle of lemon oil every time I clean the house. Our poor dining room table cracked so badly that it's currently in salvage mode, upside down on the floor. We're debating the best way to fix the poor thing, which has traveled back and forth across the country twice. It used to be a high school lab table in Buena Vista. (It still has holes from the Bunsen burner and turning it upside down for the first time, I found gum stuck to the bottom.)

(from the house in Leadville)

I'm thinking some wood glue, a few wood blocks and LOTS of lemon oil will do the trick.

2 comments:

sq gmail said...

and a humidifier or just leave the bathroom doors open to let out the steam when you shower.

Afternoon Stache said...

they have wood putty and resin that can fix it but keeping it looking distressed chic.