Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Acne and outfits


Now that Sawyer is in his teens – he is 19 days today – he is struggling with all the standard traumas of adolescence. The biggest decision he has to make every morning is 'What to Wear.' He has drawers full of insanely cute clothes sized 0-3 months, all of which are still too big. Fortunately, the baggy look is in. He thinks he looks pretty 'dope' with his trousers hanging three inches below his diaper line. Frankly, I am concerned he is going to suddenly outgrow everything before he even grows into it. We have so many clothes for him (mostly hand-me-downs from Dawn's three boys), that if Sawyer wore a different onesie every day for the next three months, I still don't think he would have worn everything in his dresser.
The other plague of the teens is acne... in this case, baby acne. Caused by sweat glands opening and mom's hormones, most babies breakout right around the time you want to take them to meet the work colleagues or head to the studio for portraits. Sadly, Noxema is not approved for use by children under 6 months of age, so the only weapon we have to battle these pimples is plain water and a washcloth. It takes all my willpower to not try to pick at his little whiteheads. Happily, the situation should clear up soon. (The 20-somethings and 30-somethings are just around the corner.)
Sawyer also has a underage drinking problem. Like most teen drinkers, he doesn't seem to know when to say when. Following a night of heavy drinking, he swaggers around milk-drunk and pukes. At least he manages to keep a smile on his face in the process. We'll be keeping an close eye on that tendency.
Speaking of smiles, my whole goal in life is to make Sawyer smile back at me. It's about time I get some reward for all this hard work. According to my baby instruction manual (aka: What to Expect in the First Year), lucky parents get a smile in return from their baby by the end of the first month. So I spend most of Sawyer's waking moments ten inches from his face saying "hi" in a tiny little voice with a big smile on my face. Don't let the photo fool you. So far, I have achieved nothing. All I get is the involuntary smile he makes while passing gas ... typical teenage boy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Superb looking kid - also looks good in sunglasses; are those Armani ?