Thursday, August 03, 2006

Feelin' Sheepish



Sawyer only woke up once last night! He slept from 10 to 2 and then until 6 am. This, in "baby world," is a small miracle for a two-week old. We haven't figured out what the magic is (this has only happened once before). I think maybe its the sheep.... a stuffed animal given to us in duplicate at a baby shower (thanks Audrey and Gloria). The sheep looks like any other cuddly doll on the outside, but his secret is that he plays four distinct white noises: heartbeat, rain, ocean and whale. Since I got two of the exact same thing at my shower, one would figure it comes highly recommended. Yet, until last night, the wooly creature had maintained a purely decorative role in the corner of Sawyer's bassinet. Last night - following a desperate night of almost no sleep, I ventured to turn him on to the "heartbeat sound" while putting Sawyer down. My little guy slept for four hours straight. Only time will tell if the sheep holds the power or if we did something else unintentionally right - like keeping him awake for hours on end during the day or carting him around the carnival grounds in 95 degree weather in the baby bjorn. Whatever happened, and I intend to figure it out, I hope getting Sawyer to eventually sleep through the night turns out to be as simple as turning on a stuffed animal.

No comments: