Thursday, March 13, 2008

Hand-Me-Down


I received my first hand-me-downs mere weeks after learning that Sawyer was going to be a boy. They arrived in four waxed seafood shipping boxes from a mom of three who was pulling the plug on the baby machine. I did not fully appreciate at the time just how grateful I would soon be to have all those really nice clothes. After that, I started receiving regular "Huggies" shipments, recycled bulk diaper boxes full of hand-me-downs and, again, I don't know how I would have survived without them - jackets, shoes, footed pajamas just when I needed them. Now I am sending out my own "Huggies" shipments. And I am surprised, yet again; I'm realizing just how great it feels to pass on clothes. I am pretty attached to some of those outfits - they have imprinted themselves in my mind like a photo - the birthday outfit, the coming home outfit, the first outfit we bought. If it wasn't so weird, I would frame them and hang them on the wall. But, I like the idea of sending them off - a mix of some of the clothes I inherited and some that I added along the way - to become part of somebody else's indelible memory.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Make sure you get rid of that sailor suit ! No boy should have to go through that.

Lurker

Kate said...

OMG I can't believe you are giving away the birthday outfit and the coming home outfit! You are crazy!

kitty said...

seriously, keep the birthday outfit! it's such a treasure. keep it if only to pull it out to show wsp's wife one day (who, if she's worth a damn, will ask you to keep it for her sons). please, please, please???
AND, don't forget the hat that goes with it!

Anonymous said...

Give it away !! Women love it and say it's cute. Men see it and say WTF, I'm not going to put that on my son.

Lurker

K*Funk said...

Hi Reid!
I'm a friend of Maria's -- can't remember if I've ever posted a comment on here before... Anyway, I've been reading your blog on & off and I just had a baby about 3 weeks ago -- and now your blog is way more relevant! I was just re-reading your post about baby acne, cause our little one's got it too! Hopefully it doesn't take long for it to go away!!
Kristin

Reid said...

Fear not dear bloggers - these clothes are on their way to my future newphew, so its all staying in the family.

And the sailor suit ROCKS! I believe in my heart of all hearts that every boy should be made to dress up like a complete dork on special occasions until they are at least five. Builds character.