Monday, March 24, 2008

Playing dolly


I was never big into dolls as a kid. I tended to strip them of clothes and give them bad haircuts - as my friend Molly can attest (I once gave her brand new Madame Alexander doll a thick shelf of bangs the day after Christmas). I wasn't much of a girlie girl either. I quit ballet when I was seven to play soccer. And, I'm really kind of a Jerry's Kid when it comes to fashion for myself. But, I have to admit, I'm having fun dressing Arden. We mothers of boys tell ourselves that boy clothes are just as fun - what's cuter than a mini surf shirt, after all? And we satisfy our impulses to doll our boys up with Christmas sweaters and sailors suits on birthdays (despite loud protests from the husbands). But, I am here to say - it's not the same. You just can't get excited about how well a blue polka dot shirt coordinates with green leggings and a flower print dress with a boy. I mean, are boys even allowed to wear polka dots?

7 comments:

Sarah Q said...

i used to make "clothing" for my barbies out of toilet paper. Good thing Cap is in charge of dressing Addie for daycare.

JB said...

The boys clothes are great - I think it's because they are so "grown up" just shrunk :) I have to admit though that the minute I found out my sister had a girl I was at Target in the dresses. So much fun! And a whole section of the store I may never get to go in for myself. How fun to have one of each.

Kate said...

Your little dolly is one of the cutest around! The little smiles she gave me the other day kept me smiling all weekend when I thought about her.

kitty said...

she's so cute. i can't believe how much they both look like you!!

Anonymous said...

You've come a long way since those Madame Alexander dolls! : ) Arden IS a little doll - just gorgeous. Happy Easter and love to you all!
xoxoxo M

K*Funk said...

Yeah it's funny, when people found out we had a girl, we were instantly flooded with pink clothing of all shapes & sizes. We won't have to buy our little girl any clothes for a while, we are so stocked now!
Btw I meant to tell you how I laughed out loud at your nursing pads story -- how your husband acted like they were maxi pads or something -- hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Saturday mornings are usually family time...at Home Depot. A.K.A. The male mall. It took my husband twice the normal time to dress our son! I never would have thought.