Monday, November 24, 2008

5 years later

Engagement party, 2003

Scott and I celebrate five years together this Friday. It's a special one because our anniversary is going to be the day after Thanksgiving, exactly like it was when we got married.

It's amazing to think about how our life together has changed in those five years. The biggest two changes are obvious - Sawyer and Arden. I had a little laugh looking over their birth certificates the other day and realizing that I was 33 when I had Sawyer and 34 when I had Arden. I have literally been either pregnant or nursing since October 2005.

The other major change is that when I got married I thought I was saying goodbye to certain things, like not being able to get the lid off a jar of pasta sauce when I'm by myself, or setting mousetraps. or taking the garbage to the dump. (I realize that these last few may baffle some of you city folk). But, here I am happily married and back at a point where I have do all these things by myself. Okay, I don't set the mousetraps but I've had to remove a few 'used' ones. It's so easy to become dependent on a spouse, so it's good for me to bust out some of my old survival skills and to remember that I can do these things (with the help of a jar opener, large tongs and a thick pair of work gloves). I'm so proud of Scott that it makes it all worthwhile.

In these last five years, we've been better than I ever anticipated, even when things were worse. And we've been richer than I ever dreamed, even though we were poor.

Here's to many future years of health and happiness honey. The best is yet to come.

1 comment:

Sarah Q said...

happy anniversary!