Monday, November 10, 2008

Roasted

Legend has it that any month with an R is a good month to eat oysters. Around here, November and December are filled with oyster festivals, oyster roasts and oyster sandwiches on special. My mom has been farming her own oysters off her dock for about five years now and almost every weekend during November and December we roast them on the grill. This was the second week in a row we ate oysters - I like them alternately dipped in lemon butter and spicy cocktail sauce, but I prefer the small ones. My mom's not scared of the bigger oysters, but this weekend she may have met her match. She pulled up some of the biggest oysters she had. Scott joked that they were abalone, not oysters, and passed on eating any. My mom ate the biggest oyster in the batch in just one bite and after that she couldn't eat any more. I've never seen her turn away oysters before. We put the rest of the behemoths into a bowl for oyster bisque and decided that we'd all rather stick with the smaller oysters from now on.

2 comments:

Kate said...

It is so cool that she grows her own oysters! I have so many questions now. How does she "pull them up"? What can she do to only grow small ones? Can this be done on Urbanna Creek? I see a local interest story in your future - growing your own oysters.

Chillable said...

I'm with you, man---Kumamotos are my favorite, a super tiny buttery little guy. Raw of course. The big ones just make me gag!