Monday, July 26, 2010

HMI


In another life, ages ago, I was a teacher and a wilderness expedition leader. I took high school kids on back country hiking, rafting, trail building and skiing trips across the western United States. During that time, I spent more than 365 nights in my sleeping bag, under the stars. I carried 70 pounds on my back almost everywhere I went. I taught real life skills like making coffee without a filter, map reading and leadership. Part of me still feels a little sad that I didn't stick with it longer. After five years, I was worn out, but once it was gone, it was probably gone forever, and I don't think I realized that when I made the decision to quit and walked into the local newspaper office, landing a job on the spot. The school recently posted some old photos on Flickr and I finally had a chance to look back at myself as I was then. Now I get to share those skills with my kids. I can't wait to take them on some of our own back country adventures.

RMS 5 (128)

Cooking dinner with Pam, my roomie in the tent and at home.

RMS 3 (120)

Facials after trail building.

RMS 1 (16)

I was barely older than the students back then. Some of them are already married with kids.

RMS 1 (92)

Making coffee the way nature intended.

RMS 1 (93)

Teaching class with an impromptu chalkboard.

RMS 1 (27)

Better than a salon. Washing my hair after two weeks in the Utah desert.

3 comments:

Anne said...

Maybe there's a book there--or at least an article.

K*Funk said...

Very cool! That's how I remember you back in the day, when we first met in Boulder, thru ultimate frisbee! :)

Afternoon Stache said...

Like the Turtle Fur hat. I still have and wear mine today