Wednesday, July 14, 2010

To the Devil and Back.


In Virginia, I had a book club and a supper club. Here I have something of a hiking club. It started with just me and my coworker. We made a list at the beginning of the summer of all the hikes we wanted to do as the summer progresses, our group of women is growing. Our last hike to Devil's Thumb was by far the best.


The wildflowers are out in force - high alpine wildflowers in the spring is one of the things I missed about Colorado the most. (I feel like I say that about everything.) There are literally hundreds of wildflowers this time of year. Lupine, bluebells, columbine, indian paint brush, locoweed, orchids, lilies, the list goes on. I needed a book. I've forgotten more flower names than I ever knew. These are wild alpine sunflowers. Like real sunflowers, they stand up and face the sun.


When we got to the top there were still fields of snow and the cold wind was whipping.

All these hikes are building up to the summer pinnacle - Long's Peak, one of the more treacherous 14ers in the state. Treacherous, I think, because there's a lot of people trying to climb it, a lot of folks who probably shouldn't be up there. Next on the list, I think, is Byers Peak. It's the most prominent peak in town and can be seen from Granby and Winter Park. That's one that we'll have to park and then bike to the trailhead. Should be interesting!

Here's Devil's Thumb up close. I think it looks like a carved bear totem. Indian legend has it that there was a big battle in the valley here and when it was done, they buried the devil there, leaving only his thumb sticking up.

No comments: