Thursday, September 21, 2006

May the Force Be With You

Looking like Yoda
(Week 1)

Looking like Jaba
(Week 8)

Some days my son looks like Yoda. Other days he's more like Jaba the Hut. I don't know why I constantly want to associate him with creatures from Star Wars - especially such unflattering ones. One thing I can say for certain is that he looks more alien than human. I do love my son, and I happen to think he's adorable (as evidenced by the number of pictures I take of him), but I pride myself in being able to step out of my mother's blinders for long enough to realize he's not headed for the cover of Parenting magazine anytime soon. We've already discussed the reverse male pattern baldness (see below). Add to that the double chin, thick thighs, wrinkly forehead and slightly crossed eyes ... why are all these features so insanely cute in a baby and so unflattering on an adult. Anyway, he's packing on the pounds and looking less Yoda and more Jaba every day. We have our 2 month appointment tomorrow and I'm taking bets on how much he weighs. At one month he was a little more than ten-and-a-half pounds. I'm guessing he'll top 12 pounds this month. While we're glad he's gaining weight and looking healthy, we are a little surprised that two relatively skinny people could have such a tank of a baby. He's already stretching the seams on his 0-3 month clothes and we have another month to go before he's supposed to outgrow those. Today I cut the tags off a felt jogging suit because the temperatures are in the 60s. It's a heavenly day. Too late, I realized that the outfit is sized for newborns. The pants hit mid calf and the sleeves come down just below his elbow. He's wearing it anyway. In fact, I am going to go through the drawers and make sure he gets one last wear out of all my favorite outfits. Our boy is not only thick, he long, and his legs are strong. He bounces on them like pogo sticks, and if he had any control whatsoever he'd be crawling already. His head is strong and he can hold it very steady, but he seems to have no interest in rolling over yet, so I think we have a while before he's mobile. For the most part these days, he's content to just lay under the jungle gym and talk to the singing star. I wonder sometimes, that he doesn't get bored with the same old view. Anyway, stay tuned until tomorrow when we'll have updates from the Doc. Meanwhile, I am making a list about a mile long of all the questions I have to ask. It's my one and only opportunity because I refuse to be one of those parents who calls all the time. Last month, I was still thinking of questions as she pushed me out the door. This month, she'll be sorry she asked.

No comments: