Thursday, September 28, 2006

Ode to Fall

I have a new, surprising, obsession.
Clothes.
Baby clothes.
Designer baby clothes.
I have not yet bought any of this coveted apparel. That would be silly. Two friends with four boys between them have donated enough hand-me-downs to keep Sawyer outfitted for the next six months. And these aren't just your run-o-the-mill Gerber onesies either. They are brand name outfits - Ralph Lauren, Christian Dior, Baby Gap.
I blame Sarah and Jen for calling my attention to it in the first place.
I was blissfully ignorant that designer baby clothes existed - Zutano, Kushies, Bon Bebe -- I could just eat them up!
And I thought baby boy clothes would be boring.
I blame the time of year.
There's something about autumn.
It's an illness, really.
I have to shop.
Compulsively.
I will chain myself to the chair!
I will bury the credit card in the yard!
To shop for either of us would be absurd.
See, I'm shrinking and he's growing.
But I LOVE fall couture!
Brown, orange, burt red, plum - these are my colors.
Denim and corduroy - these are my textures.
Big bags and cowboy boots. A new hairdo (how long has it been - April?).
I must satisfy myself by just window shopping online.
Drooling on the keyboard.
Flipping through magazines.
Finding unused outfits in the bottom of Sawyer's drawer.
Pulling out my own clothes I packed away nine months ago.
Scraping together fashion from the dregs of my closet.
This is a different me than I ever was before.
The me that wore only fleece and threadbare long underwear.
This me lives in the country.
She floats between work and home.
And she's hell-bent on being all gussied up with nowhere to go....
... and wearing outfits that are just waiting to be puked upon.

No comments: