Sunday, December 17, 2006

Golden Days

This is the heralded "Golden Age" of babydom, between four and seven months or so. Personalities develop, playing is fun, new skills are acquired everyday; however (for the most part), the tykes aren't yet into everything or taking off every time you turn your back.

Scott and I are having so much fun being parents, which surprises me for some reason. When, in my pre-Sawyer phase of life, I thought about parenting, I maybe thought responsibility, lifestyle change, money, but I never realized how much fun it would be. I love to lie down on the floor with Sawyer and fly him over my head, or gobble up his neck and tummy after I change his diaper and make him laugh hysterically. It's therapeutic - singing the itsy-bitsy spider seven times in a row or playing peekaboo with the diaper cloth even if I'm the only one who really understands the game at this point.

And I really had no concept of how much we would miss Sawyer even when we are away from him for a few hours. Scott is sad if he stops by the house for lunch and Sawyer is napping, and he can't wait to hold him when he gets home at night. When I pick him up from the sitters, I can't wait to get him home and spread out the big quilt on the floor and throw his toys all over it and watch him roll around, gumming-to-death anything that gets in his way.

I know parenting won't always be this easy or this enjoyable. I want to soak up all the "Golden Days" I can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are just going to go bonkers when Sawyer is 6 months. I thought 4 and 5 were amazing but it just gets better!

Wendy said...

I concur!! This age is just so much fun. The laughs and the smiles are gift enough for a lifetime. I am looking forward to their sitting up, however!!