Thursday, December 07, 2006

Random thoughts. . .

On NAPTIME:
Sometimes when Sawyer is in his crib crying because I am making him go down for a nap, I swear he makes this sound at the end of his wail that sounds just like he's saying "mama,mama..." Of course, I don't think he can even form the letter "m" yet, but to my ear it sounds like the final plea -
What other people hear:
AN-RA; AN-RA; AN-RA; AN-RA; NA-NA-NA
What I hear:
Mama, how can you leave me here by myself? I promise to smile and be cute if you just come in here for one second to make sure I'm okay. Mama! Please! Mamaaaaa.......
Of course, if I do give in and check on him, the whole routine just starts over again.

On UNSOLICITED ADVICE:
Recently strangers have taken to giving me random advice. Please note, the following comments are not taken out of context. There WAS NO CONTEXT. Strangers just walk up to me and blurt out their favorite bit of advice. I'm still working on a tactful response.
Yesterday in Target the advice came from a fellow shopper in the toy department: "Make sure your baby has a lot of tummy time," she said. "Babies are crawling and walking much later these days because they don't get enough tummy time." (No-Duh! Look lady, you're preaching to the choir.)
Today at lunch the advice came from a mother of four: "Breastfeed as long as you can - two or three years," she said. "Don't listen to what other people say about it." (I have a basic rule of thumb: If they are old enough to walk up and ask for it, they are simply too old - Unless, of course, we have been stranded in our car for a week on a snowy mountain pass.)

No comments: