Tuesday, January 29, 2008

More BBQ please


kims, originally uploaded by Reid Pierce.

My Goddaughter Olivia turns 1 this week. The Koreans celebrate this event by throwing a huge party. We were treated last weekend to a tasty meal at a Korean restaurant in NoVA - I am really getting addicted to this Korean BBQ concept. The whole Kim family dressed up in traditional attire (handmade) and Olivia's Mimi carried her around on a silk pillow for most of the event (I think traditionally they wouldn't let her feet touch the floor). They all looked beautiful. Made me wish I had some sort of cool getup like that, or a reason to wear it. Olivia's big moment came when she was put down on a rug and had to crawl to the other side where there were a variety of objects lined up. What she went for first would determine much about her life - kinda like a horoscope. She went for the money first (I think her parents had been practicing with her). She also went for yarn (which means she will have a long life) and a golf ball (no idea what that means). Unfortunately, there are no more huge Korean-style celebrations scheduled until Olivia turns 60. I hope to be around for that!

1 comment:

Sarah Q said...

Olivia is so cute I want to put some kimchi on her and gobble her up!