Monday, August 18, 2008

First Day Update


Long before the sun came up this morning Scott and I were awoken by the unmistakable sound of a dog about to upchuck on our bedroom floor. Scott flew out of bed and pushed Duncan out the sliding glass door of our bedroom. We were just falling back to sleep when we heard a bang from somewhere in the house. We didn't hear any crying but we listened quietly for a while. Then I heard a soft creaking on the wood floors in the hallway and there was Sawyer, sneaking towards us through the dark. It was the earliest he's ever been up and it was the first time he ever let himself out of his room in the night like that. He climbed into my arms and said something that sounded a lot like: "New School." We had been talking about it the night before and we think he was excited. A few minutes later we heard Arden making happy sounds in her bed. For whatever reason, the entire household was now up before the sun.

Hours later, we all dropped Sawyer off together for his first day of preschool. He walked in, started playing with trains, and pretty much ignored us. After about five minutes, it was clear that he was fine and that it was time for us to go. I knelt down and explained gently that we were about to leave.
"We'll see you later," I said.
"See ya!" he said without even looking up from the toy train he was assembling.
And that was that.

Arden did fine too. Her teacher is clearly a baby person and Arden didn't have one bit of stranger anxiety. Of course, she didn't really understand what was happening.

I haven't called to check on either of them yet. While I do wish I could be a fly on the wall, I think I'm probably better off not knowing, just imagining them looking as happy and content as they were this morning.

2 comments:

jamie said...

Oh God- too funny. I can relate to the lightning fast reflexes to animal harfing... I've become a pro at waking up to hurl the cat off the bed at the first sound of pre-puke.

And I love Arden's hair!

Sarah Q said...

go team pierce!