Sunday, September 27, 2009

First Day


After a less than perfect night of sleep (compliments of Arden) the kids and I stretched our cold Colorado bones slowly this morning, taking in the better part of a Disney movie nestled under blankets on the couch before walking back to the store for coffee and a few more essentials. Now that I live within walking distance of City Market, I'm going to see how long I can go without actually driving to the grocery store. Then the kids and I headed to town (a whopping five minute drive) and started the day's adventures with a stop at the Granby Train Depot. It's just a little platform, but it was bustling this morning. An Amish? family was getting off the train, making me feel like I'd stepped back in time. The conductor was pulling suitcases out of the luggage car, and the kids and I sat, watched and waved to the engineer, who honked his horn, rang his bell, and flashed his lights at us, pretty much making Sawyer's life complete. Then we went to explore the playground and discovered three within walking distance. We tested out at each one before I managed to trick the kids into loading back up in the car to go see Mary - Arden's teacher and my friend from Kilmarnock - who happened to be in Denver this weekend visiting friends. Everybody happily took a short nap in the car before Mary arrived. We headed to Fraser for a hike in the Experimental Forest. Sawyer was an amazing hiker. Not one complaint. Went the whole way talking and singing to himself. Arden walked some, but melted down at the end when she took a digger in the dirt. We ended the day with Mexican food. Seriously. The only way that day would have been better is if I'd had a margarita with dinner. Everybody else took lots of photos on the hike, so I guess I'll have to wait to post them. Baths and bed by 6:45. I put the kids down in the same bedroom again on two crib mattresses side by side on the floor, but was having a difficult time getting Arden to stay put without a crib. After 30 minutes of Arden wailing and me struggling to get her to lie down, Sawyer said: "I don't want to live here anymore." I was heartbroken until the next moment when he said: "I want a different bed." I honestly couldn't blame him. I moved him into the queen bed I was saving for Justin and guests, at least temporarily. Everybody calmed down and went to sleep. Ahhh. . . . Now – Boxes.

No comments: