Friday, September 18, 2009

Rocky Mountain Hi



This is one of those 'Where do I even begin?' posts. I've sat down multiple times to write it, as evidenced by the three drafts in my folder. It's just too much to digest and regurgitate in one quippy little blog entry. This topic demands the time and attention span of a really juicy Vanity Fair article. Since I've been pondering how to write this post, people have gotten pregnant AND had their babies, so I need to just get on with it. This is the Reader's Digest version, and it's still long. So get yourself a glass of wine and your reading spectacles.

I've basically had a one-third-life crisis, as opposed to a mid-life crisis, which I'm postponing until 50. I woke up one day a few months ago (coincidentally not long after Scott lost his job) and said: I don't want to do this anymore. 'This' being living in a place that doesn't feel like home. 'This' being my marriage, in its current state. 'This' being the person I've become, who I don't even recognize when I look in the mirror.

Seven years ago, we came here from Colorado for a four-month vacation. We stayed because of a golden shimmer on the horizon, the promise of easy money thanks to a booming real estate market (insert sarcastic laugh here). We always planned on going back. The four-month plan turned into a one year plan which turned into the three year plan and that became the five year plan. I'm here to tell you that, seven years later, I've seen a lot of rainbows, but never have we found that pot of gold. Truth be told, I don't really give a damn about the gold. Certainly not at the expense of my family.

Having Scott living two hours north of here, seeing him for 24 hours on the weekend was not what I signed up for. I never planned to move back to Northern Virginia. I grew up there and left, decidedly, when I graduated high school. After he lost his job, Scott wasn't even looking for work in the Northern Neck. So, what was I doing here? As Scott continued chasing job opportunities in Northern Virginia, two hours away from home, I started sending my resume to every job opening west of the Great Plains. I got a hit in Granby, Colorado, scraped together the world's most meager travel budget, visited, and landed the job on the spot. I had four weeks to move.

I can't tell you how much my stomach churned after I walked out of that newspaper office. What do they say about being careful what you wish for? The reality of the situation set in. I worried about uprooting the kids and taking them out of good schools and away from friends for the unknown. I realized how much I love this house. I have a stable job. I have AMAZING friends here who I, maybe, underestimated at times. And, most importantly, I have Mimi and Pop Pop. How could I take the kids away from them?

Joining the Granby paper wasn't going to be a major career move in the up-the-ladder sense or the making-more-money sense either. Even they acknowledged that. It would be different, though, in a lot of good ways. It's a three-times-per-week community newspaper that is gearing up to be five-times and there is quite a bit of growth potential for me within the company. Really, it was about shaking life up and trying something new.

I realized that for these past seven years, I've just been along for the ride. I had to do this. For me. The kids are resilient. Mimi and Pop Pop travel. It's time for a new career challenge. The house had always been an investment, not a dream. The kids are young enough that this move won't permanently scar them. It was time to grip the wheel.

One foot in front of the other, I began by walking into my boss's office and resigning. That lifted an amazing weight off me. Now, there was no turning back. I took out ads to sell all the extra gear and stuff we had accumulated over the years. Three boats, two trailers, a step van, four computers, two crossbows, about two dozen fishing rods (never caught a fish), a partly built wooden kayak kit, clothes, outgrown baby gear . . . oh wait a minute - THERE"S THE POT OF GOLD!!!!!

We sold all that stuff for a song. Scott - to his credit - bargained his little heart out and then cried about it later. We made enough money to make the move. I started packing up the house. Meanwhile, Scott was STILL applying for jobs in Northern Virginia, because he hadn't really gotten IT yet. He was totally focused on getting back what he'd lost. The job. The stature. The money. Without seeing what he was losing.

Sometimes us women folk have to slap our men across the face and say: This train is leaving, Buddy. Get on board, now or never. We have to do that prepared for the possibility that in the next moment we'll be hanging out the window waving our handkerchief at the man we loved, standing on the platform as the train pulls away. I really had no idea which way it was gonna go for me. I'm still not completely certain.

But, by way of an answer, Scott announced Monday that he was going pack everything up and drive it out to Granby this week. He'd rent a house and settle things in. He'd drop the car off at the airport long term parking on Tuesday. Return here for a few weeks to get the house ready for renters (Fate kicked in and we found wonderful people to live here), finish a few quick projects and drive the last of the stuff across the country in his truck and trailer. Meanwhile, the kids and I would fly Saturday the 26th, pick up the car, move in and have a week to settle before I start my new job on Friday, Oct 2. We finally had a plan.

Two days later, Scott pulled out of our driveway. 36 hours after that he arrived, sleepless, in Colorado. He is there now, soaking it in and loving it, reconnecting with old friends and, hopefully, doing some soul searching. He has rented a place, a townhouse on a golf course. Apparently, I can walk to the grocery store AND Starbucks from the house (oh dear God help me), and I'll only be about five minutes from work.

I'm not kidding myself, the coming months are going to be hard. I'm gonna be poor. I'll still be coupon mom. The kids will probably be all freaked out. I'll have a new schedule and job to learn. They'll have a new school or daycare. And, at least for a little while, we'll be doing it all alone. But, I'm holding out hope for my little family. That we can pull it together and find happiness again in the place where we once had so much of it. Keep us in your thoughts (and prayers if you have 'em) as we depart on this grandest of life adventures. If nothing else, it's sure to make for some interesting blogs!

7 comments:

Anne said...

Gonna require new photo on blog and new attitude to go with the
altitude. Mimi and Pop-Pop are
sad, but checking mileage accounts for cheap flights.

Chillable said...

Wow. Just wow. You're a brave gal and I admire your choices...follow your dreams, you only live once. Good luck!!!

kitty said...

hot damn. normally i'd say take deep breaths and when shit gets tough try to see the forest through the trees. but maybe the better advice here is to just enjoy the forest. beyond happy for you - and i don't mean the collective you. i mean YOU. keep it light and keep us posted. biggest of big love

JB said...

Congratulations! It sounds like its all falling together and making sense - the kids will love it because you will love it and thats all they will need. And since we are the praying types (pastor and fam none the less) we will keep you and the fam in 'em!
Take care,
Bridget

Sarah Q said...

well i think you are amazing and inspirational for taking life by the horns as they say. i can't wait to come visit!

mandghall said...

All my support and respect for going for it, Reid. Can't wait to read your work/reports about life with a new pen. Sounds lovely out there and will be crazy fun when skiing season starts I can imagine (or snowboarding, depending on preferences:) Take care and keep us updated.

Unknown said...

I like the way that you pointed me to your blog to read the entire story. I've done that with another big story in my life (I can send you the "Capitol Pk hike" almost killed my dog, Smokey the Bear). Forgive me, but your new job can't start on Fri, 10/2, because that's a Saturday. I know that, since that is the day that we wed at DTR.
Steve Vierling