Wednesday, September 09, 2009

The new me

So last week I get a call from a producer at the Bonnie Hunt show . . . .

Oh, wait a minute. I'm not DOOCE. I don't make six figures off my blog and tour the celebrity docket and change diapers on live t.v. I'm COUPON MOM now. I seriously get a high from saving money at the grocery store. Like last week. I saved $50 using coupons and MVP savings. Just about danced my way out the door. I print my own coupons off the internet, and I even have friends leave me coupons on my desk and save me coupons they find. When the money is flowing, it's so easy to forget about coupons, to not bother. But when times are tight, I carry around an overstuffed envelope full of coupons. I become that person at the grocery store who you don't want to get behind. Particularly because sometimes I haven't actually taken the time to organize or even clip the coupons and I'm standing there in front of a line of people trying to find and neatly tear out the coupons I need. I'm YARD SALE MOM too, now. That book, yep, $2. That bag of non-washable Crayola crayons, $1. Yes, that is my infant son's mug in that picture frame. That will be $3. Poor Sawyer was clinging to his Ambulance with squinted eyes daring anybody to touch it. If only I lived in a state where they pay cash for bottles I might be digging through recycle bins too.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

You'll have to share some of your secrets about coupons. I try to use them, but the grocery store ones aren't that amazing-- I usually just have the receipt-kind, along with some pampers coupons and I may save around $10 max. $50 is unimaginable. Where do you find coupons? Even when I check the fliers in the mail, there are announcements for store specials, but no actual coupons.