Tuesday, January 23, 2007

baby book club

I started reading to Sawyer long before he could really see the pages. But he caught onto the concept quickly, and even when he was only a few months old he was grabbing the edges of whatever book we were reading, wanting to hold it.

Now his favorite books are the interactive type: That's Not My Bear; That's Not My Dragon; Peekaboo Blue; where he can run his hands across the pages and achieve complete sensory overload. He gets so excited sometimes he starts hyperventilating and loses all muscle control, turning into jerky, book-nerd baby (uhn, uhn, snarf).

(Note: Yes, I am horrified that Sawyer loves a Blues Clues book - we don't even have TV and I was hoping to avoid the whole Nick Kids thing for a few years; but it was a gift and he knows where all the friends are hiding).

BTW: Pat the Bunny - not so kid friendly. It's very fragile and so appealing that Sawyer wants to eat it. We have to look at that book with an arm's distance.

Once we've done a few of the touch-and-feel books, and I've had about all I can handle, we turn to my favorites: The Snowy Day; Each Peach, Pear, Plum; and Guess How Much I Love You.

That last one just slays me. I should be rid of all those pregnancy hormones by now, but I can't read that final line without getting weepy. I made Scott read it to Sawyer the other day and he had to get up and leave the room afterwards.

Parenthood has turned us to mush.

Do you have a favorite baby book? What book does your baby want to hear again and again?

8 comments:

Sarah Q said...

I have to admit I don't share your sentiment about Guess How Much I Love You. Addie and I both get bored about 2 pages in. But then again I'm somewhat heartless. I agree about Pat the Bunny - too fragile. Our favorite is anything Dr. Seuss and I never tire of reading his books out loud.

jamie said...

yay-- this is my favorite kind of game. clara isn't quite reaching for the books yet, but she will sit still and chill out for two or three books in a row, which i looooove. current faves are chicka chicka boom boom (so much fun to read out loud!) and any of the sandra boynton books, esp. barnyard dance. book nerds are the best. :)

Anonymous said...

Awwww. . . Guess How Much I Love You - that's my favorite! Emma prefers books about Nemo or Dora at this point but she did really like Goodnight Moon when she was younger. I have no idea why most babies really like that book - it's boring to an adult but apparently fascinating to one year olds!

Reid said...

Kate - If I do remember correctly you gave us that book - i been meaning to tell you 'how much' we love it.

Sarah - no i don't expect you are the mushy mom type. Like I said, parenthood brings to light strange and unexpected things.

Jamie - We have a few Sandra Boyton books, which seem to require the reader to actually sing (i.e. its pajama time, jammy jammy ...). Are the musical notes on the page supposed to be a hint? It puts me on edge.

kitty said...

t2 enjoys the new york times, the new yorker and james wolcott columns. in fact, he IS baby einstein. j/k
he likes anything i read him. i have one truck book that's in japanese (or chinese, i can't tell) that he digs because it has wheels. i have a really good time making up the story that goes along with it. i like goodnight moon because i remember reading it when i was little. i think pat the bunny's day has come and gone - the mommy has a wedding ring & apron/daddy has a scratch face business annoys me even though we're a pretty traditional family. i have these sami flip a face books that he loves to slap, lick, touch, eat and i guess hear me read. eric carle is good - you gotta love that the caterpillar feels better when he eats one nice green leaf on a sunday after pigging out on chocolate cake and pickles on saturday.

Sarah Q said...

Cap says that apart from Dr. Seuss, he likes The Very Hungry Caterpillar and The Noisy Bunny Book. But i think my favorite Dr Seuss right now (board book style) is There's a Wocket in my Pocket and, to echo Jamie, we do enjoy the Sandra Boynton's Volume I greatest hits collection.

Reid said...

Cat - good point about Pat the Bunny being tres passe, although I think Sawyer can really identify with the Daddy has a scratchy face page.

Cap and Janine - Eric Carle, yes he is great. I almost forgot about him cause hungry catapillar and brown bear were proping up the cosleeper on one end during the latest cold (I needed two equally sized book stacks.)

Wendy said...

I am not as disciplined a reader to my boys. I want to be, really I do. I do give them books to play with, or eat, so that they learn to appreciate the book. I have a book called GO GO GO that I love. I also like THAT's NOT MY TRAIN.