Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Snap-to!



This may seem like the most inane thing to write about, but it seriously troubles me every day. Snaps. On baby clothes. I can never seem to line them up right the first time I try. Footed sleepers are the worst, but I even struggle with the three snaps at the bottom of onsies. I get to the end and there I find it - that extra snap laughing at me. And then the wiggly baby who has had just about enough of getting dressed loses patience and starts squirming and rolling and fussing and there I am, arms twisted like Gumby, still snapping. How hard can it be? Start on one end and work your way systematically through the snaps until you get to the end, right? I tell myself this every time before I start to snap up a set of footed pajamas. It's the crossroads that get me - that spot between the legs where all snaps meet. I somehow miss one along the way, or snap the wrong to parts together so that when I'm done Sawyer is wrinkled up like a shar-pei. Sawyer owns several outfits that have actually brought me to tears - snaps both front and back. I wonder, often, what my snap-challengedness means. Am I impatient? Not detail-oriented? Creative to a fault? Yes, I am all of these things. But, even when I try to approach the snaps systematically, I flub it all up. I remember being tested in middle school for learning disabilities and was told that when presented with a problem - such as a puzzle or math equation, I will attempt to solve it in the same way, over and over, rather than taking a new approach when the first one fails. Knowing this, I have purposefully tried new approaches to the snap issue: top-down, bottom-up, crossroads-out. But the rouge snap always appears just as Sawyer flashes a wicked little smile and starts squirming away. And this all has me asking why do baby pajamas need so many snaps anyway? A well-placed snap here and there would hold the whole thing together just fine. I am hopeless - a lost cause. The baby-clothing industry, however, maybe I can tackle that!

3 comments:

jamie said...

i sympathize too. love these 2 photos of sawyer... he's gorgeous. :)

Sarah Q said...

sometimes it takes two of us to get addie into her pjs.

i also love those two photos. okay - how'd you shoot them (exposure, lens, filter?). Hey, i'm a student i get to ask questions!

Wendy said...

First...your son is gorgeous and you are an amazing photography. But you knew both of those things.

This Blog cracks me up. I have snap trouble too. I hadn't thought about it as a defining personality fault, however. Maybe I should have. I am most annoyed by the onesies...it is only three in a line...how can we get it wrong? Unbelievable. Good to know I am not alone in this world.