Monday, January 15, 2007

Gotta love those free samples

This photo is all about the t-shirt, which Sawyer is sadly outgrowing. I just discovered it buried in the closet. It was 76 degrees at our house on Sunday. Can you believe its January? So I needed something summery and I found this shirt that was still too big last summer and now it's almost too small. I think I'll keep it and put it on the teddy bear or something.

So we started Sawyer on formula today. It wasn't one of those big, life-altering decisions. I went looking for the milk I pumped on Friday in the freezer this morning there was NOTHING. Shelves were bare. (I actually patted them down in desperation.) You have to understand that beyond the humiliation and pain of being a human cow for 40 minutes every day at work - I've been told that from the other side of the bathroom door it sounds like I'm using a vibrator . . . nothing like hearing people standing outside the bathroom door, giggling – each drop of milk is literally worth its weight in gold. I racked my brain. I looked at the nondescript breast pump case and an awful wave of realization swept over me. I never unloaded Friday's milk. There it sat, three bottles worth, perfectly rotting. With no other alternative, and without another thought, I reached into the depths of the cupboard and pulled out one of those freeby samples they send you in the mail, which I had saved in case of emergency. I grabbed the soy version and wished the baby sitter best of luck. Some of life's biggest decisions are made for you. What amazes me is that Scott actually seems more attached to the breast feeding than me at this point. I'm not really sure why (It's free? He doesn't have to get up to feed a sick baby in the middle of the night?) In fact, he was pretty skeptical about breast feeding at first. But, now he seems to truly believe its the best thing for Sawyer. I, on the other hand, am very excited about introducing some alternate sources of nourishment. I just didn't plan to be quite so unplanned about it.

No comments: