Thursday, August 13, 2009

BFF


One night when I was reading books with Sawyer, he turned around and gave me a huge hug, looked me in the eye, and said: "You are my best friend, Mommy." I was feeling like the world's best mother until the next day when the teacher's aide in his classroom came up to me, absolutely smitten, and reported that Sawyer had declared her his best friend. Several days later he signed my babysitter Katie onto a lifetime contract with those same five words. Last weekend at the dinner table he brought my mother into the club. Sitting at the other end of the table, my slightly miffed father announced that Sawyer was out of the will. Today, it was little Tayloe Emery – a more age-appropriate best friend. Tayloe, however, was immune to Sawyer's proclamation. He just looked at him, shrugged and went on playing with his car. His mother, who heard Sawyer say this to her son several times, got all teary-eyed until I let the cat out of the bag: Sawyer's a BFF whore. At least he's not saying it to chicks at the checkout counter. He really does save it for people that he loves, and I think it's his way of telling people how important they are to him. So he hasn't quite figured out that the word "best" is singular, but I'm glad to see he's creating his own village of people that he loves and trusts. I personally think it's important to have multiple best friends. Each has their own specialties and contributions. Some are ballasts in the wind while others are the current that carries us forward. No, Sawyer, you can never have too many best friends. And, at the end of the day, it's always a good idea to have a backup plan.

6 comments:

jamie said...

I'm so stoked you posted this today. I'm having a bit of a tough one, and this just put a big silly grin on my face and reminded me to be grateful for having so many good BFFs in my life. Sawyer is a lucky dude indeed. :)

Wendy said...

this post is awesome. sawyer is an awesome little dude

Sarah Q said...

i hope to one day be his BFF too.

Anne said...

well, his copy editor BFF would say
it is "whore" not hoar as in frost.

Should be a lesson to us all. I was
telling Susan Miller the story and
she immediately knew that that it
was a classic grandmother thing. I
would let him do things his mom
wouldn't, therefore we are friends.
Even knowing that, it works. Everyone likes to be special.

Reid said...

Thanks mom. Snow is on the mind. And this blog is rated PG.

Catherine said...

beautifully written. you make me laugh! no questioning where or how your little man learned to be such a good friend. loved seeing you and the beauties.