Saturday, August 15, 2009

Pool day



I have no idea how to teach somebody to swim. Considering we live on the water and my parents have a pool, we haven't spent much time really swimming this summer. The cooler temperatures have prevented the pool from warming up, and it's just not a pleasant experience most days. But, two of Sawyer's friends already swim like fish, and I feel like it's time to get crackalackin' on the freestyle front. Turns out, I'm a throw 'em in and either they'll sink or swim kind of mom. I tried to let Sawyer do it on his own free will a couple times but eventually just pushed him off toward the stairs and let him fend for himself. He made it. Swallowed a little water and clawed his way up the stairs - blinded by chlorine and gasping for air. I thought he was going to fall right over on the grass. Typical Sawyer – he is terrified of new experiences but, afterward, is happy he did it. This is something I will need to keep reminding myself for his whole life. He's a kid that, from time to time, needs a push.

2 comments:

Sarah Q said...

we keep talking about swim lessons but haven't done anything about it yet . . .

Afternoon Stache said...

sorry sawyer, but pop pop stole that video. so awkward.