Sunday, October 08, 2006

Don't forget the YANG


Scott complained this weekend that the blog is all about me and Sawyer. Okay, well, Sawyer is clearly the star, and I am the author, but I suppose that I should mention, once and a while, that he has a dad. (Please note that the poor dogs are also feeling neglected and ignored but they have yet to complain about their lack of mention on the blog.)

Sawyer's dad - Scott - is very busy with work and we hardly seem him awake these days. Happily, however, it rained all weekend and we got lots of quality time with him. The rain did not, however, deter Scott from slipping out of the house before dawn on Saturday to go duck hunting with his buddy Brian. He came home (empty handed) just as we were getting up. Not being a hunter myself, I have yet to truly understand the sport's appeal. Scott only began waterfowl hunting last winter, but hasn't shot anything yet. I think commando-crawling through the cold, murky marshes before dawn must have some appeal of its own. I am in full support, however, of any sport that makes my honey happy and provides him some relief from endless days of stress.

I am also very supportive of Scott's cooking hobby, but enough about him and more about me...

Since I also could not work Saturday due to the rain (which cancelled all events), I set about reorganizing my closet and Sawyer's closet. I was desperately hoping Sawyer would make it to the 3-month mark with his current wardrobe, but on Friday night I put him into a pair of footed pajamas that were so small on him the boat neck pulled down to his nipples when he tried to straighten his legs. So, I boxed up all the 0-3 month clothes and busted out the 3-6 months. It was almost like shopping!

I took the opportunity to do the same thing with my own clothes. I am now falling out of all maternity clothes and in-between clothes, so I was really looking forward to slipping into my favorite pre-pregnancy clothes. Um, apparently not. I tried on about 17 pairs of pants that don't fit (and I couldn't bring myself to try on the shirts, which I'm sure don't fit due to added cleavage). While my current weight is only a few pounds shy of my pre-pregnancy weight, my entire body has shape shifted and the buttons on all my pants are about an inch away from closing. Going through Sawyer's clothes was a lot more fun.

Back to Scott. While I swam through a mountain of clothes (and suffered massive allergy attacks as I always do when cleaning or organizing anything) Scott made us lunch, cooked an excellent gourmet dinner with mere scraps from the cupboard (and you think I'm joking?), went grocery shopping, cooked a yummy breakfast this morning, a delicious pasta dinner AND (now this is the clincher) did ALL the dishes from ALL meals.

So, in case I don't say it enough, and I know I don't, Sawyer's dad is the bomb-diggity. And, Sawyer is so lucky because one day, when he's bigger, his dad is going to teach him how to do all these cool things - like crawling through marshes on the coldest, wettest, darkest days of the year and cooking gourmet meals from the scraps in the cupboard.

3 comments:

Sarah Q said...

I shot my first gun this summer - a .22 caliber and i loved it. weird for a vegetarian but we buried the Mug Root Beer cans ceremoniously in the recycling bin. Oh and I here ya on the body morphing. it sucks. i'm vain.

Anonymous said...

Bout time I get some props around here. Mans gotta do some man things once in awhile.

Peace out
Pops

Anonymous said...

Scott, might I suggest paint balling? You never leave empty handed, always get to shot something and better yet, that something can shoot back. I'm not on a defense of animals kick here (I dig on swine and the like) but there's something to the challenge of shoot or be shot, especially when not using real bullets and when Cheney is not in a 1-mile radius. Of course, it's tempting to complain permanently about the giant welts which result, but I've always found that a cut here and a bruise there keep you young. That said, nothing like catching your own dinner...I imagine.