Friday, October 06, 2006

Who?

People keep asking me lately what I am going to have Sawyer call me.
Uhhh - "Mom?"
I wasn't really aware that there are options.
Do I get to choose?
I mean, I'm not from England, so "mum" doesn't seem appropriate, and I don't live in the 19th century, so "mam" is too formal. I'm not Laura Ingles Wilder, so "ma" sounds a bit too wagon train for me. I think it takes a large black woman to pull off a name like "mammie." And, I'm definitely not Hollywood enough for the first-name basis thing.
A quick internet search revealed the options: mom, mommy, mama, mamma, mammy, momma, mum, mummy, mam, mater...
Mater? Too much like Tomater.
The more I think about it, the more I realize that the people who have been asking me about my "mother" name are all in their early 20s. They all, apparently, turn their noses up at "mommy."
Even Justin has scoffed at the traditional "Daddy" and calls Scott Da-da.
It appears that Generation Y is aiming for some new lingo. How long have we been using "mommy" for anyway? Is it just us Gen Xers who made that nickname commonplace? What did the Boomers use: "Mother?" or "Mama?" (Note: I am at the tail end of my generation. I am sadly reminded of this when I realize what a different world kids 10 years younger than me grew up in.)
Anyway, my parents have decided to let their grandparent nicknames develop naturally. And we haven't even discussed what names Scott's parents want to use, although I assume we'll just follow suit with whatever Jace calls them.
I am not sure how I am supposed to refer to them in the meantime. "Who's that? Is that Grandma?" I'm sorry, but can you see Anne being "Grandma?" It's all wrong. She's also not a Big Mama or a Moo Moo, a Mimi or a Little Annie. Nana has already been used (her mom) and holds far too strong of an association.
As for my dad - I really like the name "Pop." Of course Poppa John sounds like pizza joint. My favorite grandfather name of all time is "Hi Daddy," which came from just that, a little boy's mother seeing her dad and saying "Hi Daddy."
But, there are cases where letting the kid choose the name backfires. Like the grandmother who quieted her infant granddaughter by saying in a high voice "Whoo-Whooo." She is now known as "Who-Who," which is the word that some people I know use to refer to a woman's privates.
So, as for what I will be called, "mom" or "mommy" is just fine with me.

2 comments:

kitty said...

wow, i had no idea either. i can't believe people (people in the northern neck???) have been asking you what you'll be called. how can you even hold your tounge from telling them what a stupid question that is.
i love hi daddy.

Anonymous said...

That "Who Who" comment was lol funny.