Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Weighing in on the whole costume debate

The pressure is on. People keep asking me what Sawyer is going to be for Halloween. Thing is, I haven't decided how I feel about dressing a three-month old in a Halloween costume. First of all, we have nowhere to go. We'll be out of town for the big costume parade in Reedville on Saturday and Halloween itself is on Tuesday - deadline night at the paper. Trick-or-treating is out of the question unless somebody is handing out breastmilkcicles. Nobody will be walking down our long dark drive to knock on our door Halloween night. Dressing Sawyer up just to sit around the house and take photos seems absurd. And, yet, I fear that I would be depriving him of some God-given right if I boycotted the costume thing. Will he, twenty years in the future, demand to see his first Halloween photos and then blame us for failing as parents because we didn't dress him up? If it's any indication, I have received no less than three hand-me-down costumes from friends. Apparently, everyone else I know dressed their babies up for Halloween. So, should I fold? Perhaps I should insist that Scott dress him up and take him to the costume constest in Irvington. What do you think his chances are against the other 0-2 year olds? More importantly, what are my chances of talking Scott into it? Hmmm..... Stay tuned.

2 comments:

kitty said...

first, it's never absurd to dress your kid up just to take pictures. second, sawyer would take the gold in any contest, so i hands down think you should do it.

Anonymous said...

Definitely dress him up! Sunday or Monday night dress him up and take him to visit family and friends. And take pictures, yes, lots of pictures.
Kate