Thursday, October 05, 2006

My son the Bushman





Do you remember the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy?"
Sawyer has learned this week how to make that same clucking sound with his tongue that Bushmen use in their language. He flicks his tongue against the roof of his mouth and it makes a "tock." He clearly discovered his ability to do this by accident, but now he's so fascinated with his new-found skill that he will just lay there 'tock'-ing to himself. This morning my neighbor Jayne and I went on a walk and I told her about his new thing and she started clicking her tongue at him. Then Sawyer clicked back. Then I couldn't resist so I started clicking my tongue. And we all three stood there at the top of the driveway 'tock'-ing and smiling at each other for almost ten minutes.

I would also like to note that Sawyer finally repeated his roll today (one full week later). I have to admit (lest you think he's some genius) that I give him a head start on the shoulders. I lay him on his stomach but tuck one arm beneath his chest so that he can get past the hump. He's figured out what to do with the rest of his body. I should also note that he's not exactly happy about the whole maneuver yet.

Tummy time in general is a bit of a struggle for us. He will tolerate it awake for precisely two minutes. I think the major problem is that he drools considerably when placed on his stomach. And while he can lift his head quite well for a short period of time (about two minutes), when he goes to put it back down it lands in a slimy puddle of saliva, forcing him to pick it right back up. A struggle against gravity ensues. It's like a game of hot lava. He thinks: "Oh, no, I'm losing control. I can't do this anymore. But if I let go, my entire face is going into that disgusting wet and cold pool of sticky spit up. Oh God, just let me keep my head up one more minute. Mom! Help! My I can't hold my head up anymore! HEEEELLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!!!" Splash.

So I've been wondering what this overstuffed bean pillow that came with my jungle gym is for. It's far too big to be comfortable for him to prop up his head when he's on his back. Voila! It's perfect to help him keep his head up during tummy time. (Probably its intended purpose. I'm a bit slow with these things). Today he had a stare-off with the octopus. It was touch-and-go for about two minutes. Then, the octopus won.

No comments: