Friday, February 15, 2008

The end of a long day


Check out how haggard I look!

I've been practicing getting the two kids out of the house in the morning and arriving somewhere - anywhere - on time. Today was the first day I actually succeeded, and I want a big gold star. Yesterday, I was late to a meeting, but I blame ice on the road and the Godzilla-sized temper tantrum Sawyer threw at the sitters when I dropped him off.

Ooooh - the temper is bad these days people. My good natured boy has finally showed me his other side. It's so awful and embarrassing - snatching toys from other children and throwing them across the room, screaming "NO" and breaking down on the floor in tears. The pediatrician told me that the closer they get to really communicating, the worse the tantrums will become. They understand but can't explain. It comes in small doses, but I've already tasted enough to last me for a lifetime.

Work starts for me Monday morning. These last six weeks off have done me some good. I do feel like we are just beginning to get a handle on surviving life with two kids - bath time and bedtime is like an assembly line. But, I haven't done half the projects I imagined, somehow, that I would have time for. Scrapbooks remain uncreated. Walls unpainted. Taxes unfiled. It's about all I could do to keep up with the laundry, cleaning and dishes. And, look at me, I'm haggard. Hardly looking refreshed and ready to return to the workforce. But it's like ripping off a band-aid. Best to get it over with sooner than later.

4 comments:

Sarah Q said...

I think you deserve a gold star everyday!

Wendy said...

getting places on time with two kids takes a lot of practice. a lot. i remember when the boys were infants i had to plan 45 minutes per infant. that is 1.5 hours to get out of the house. by the time i left i needed to come home.....

kitty said...

you're doing great! i mean hell, they're both sitting still on your lap. in my mind, that's a huge accomplishment.
re: temper tantrums. god, i know what you mean. the other day tayloe locked himself in the laundry room and screamed for 45 minutes. the thing is, i'm not even sure why. he'd quiet down some and i'd peeking in and say 'are you ready for me to help you?' and he'd shake his head no, slam the door and wail.
the neighbors must think we're ramming bamboo shoots under his nails.
good times.

JB said...

Hi there - we have never met but I am Casey's mom and get to your blog through Sarah's - your list of blog addiction signs describes me perfectly! Congratualtions on your new baby - I am following your blog as we are expecting again in June when Casey will be just 2. I am glad to hear you are figuring out how to make it all work. Keep blogging, you are giving hope to others :)