Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Gimme some shuga'


I am constantly asked what Sawyer thinks of Arden. While I can't read his mind (sadly enough) I can attest that he seems to genuinely love her. It's amazing to me that it's just built-in like that. I mean, what has she done for him? So far, she has generally disrupted his life and constantly demanded his parents' attention. Yet, he doesn't hold it against her. He wants to be helpful. I've already mentioned how he brings me her burp clothes and pacifiers when I leave them lying carelessly about. He likes to push her in her swing, and he's very gentle about it (in a jerky, aggro sort of way). When she's crying in her room, and I seem to not be noticing, Sawyer will stand in the hall and wail - just passing the message along I guess. And, he likes to give her kisses, which is really just breathing on her really close to her face. (I cringe as he leans over her, the snot-cicle dangling from his nose).

Last weekend, she was playing on her mat and he crawled down on the floor and buried his head into her stomach. I was a little concerned at first, wondering if he was going to hurt her, and then I realized what he was doing. He was trying to get some "shuga." Belly Button Sugar. It's a high commodity in the Armstrong family. Just ask my Aunt Bonnie who used to chase my brother Ross around the house begging for "shuga." Gimme Some Shuga! she'd call, sweetness dripping from her southern accent.

The way you extract belly button sugar, in case it's not completely obvious, is with a sloppy wet zurburt directly to the stomach. Sawyer, of course, has given up more than his share of belly button sugar, and he's decided that it's his sister's turn.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the camera fast enough. This is Arden, having just given up her first dose of "shuga" to her big brother.

No comments: