Sunday, February 04, 2007

And a shout out to our moving 'company'

The best kind of friends are the ones who will throw on the old sweats, pack up all your useless, dusty junk and then hump it up a flight of stairs. We are blessed with many of this kind of friend; people who, without a moment’s hesitation, responded to our invitation to haul boxes in return for a bowl of half-burnt chile (my fault) and a few cans of cheap beer.

Everything we own is now in the new house. We, however, are not. The phone is up. The mail is being delivered. The toilet has been consecrated. (How fun to be the first person ever to sit on the throne). We are working our way through a sea of boxes, putting away kitchen utensils and clothes. We are just waiting for Mr. Revere to finish hooking up the gas to the heat so that the house will be toasty warm. We need to retro-fit the cabinet to hold the oven. We have a few more floor boards to put down. The back deck needs railing. And. Then. We. Are. Done. The projects will continue: finishing the powder room and the upstairs are next on the list, along with building window seats, landscaping and putting the finishing touches here and there. But, I have been to the mountaintop and I have seen the Promised Land, and it’s FUNKY! I love our house – tree post, metal ceiling and all. I’m not sure we’ll ever build another one. I’ve been joking that I now understand why homebuilding is the #1 cause of divorce. And, Scott is a builder. I think that now, having been through it, he will be an even better builder because he will understand what his clients are going through. I’m sure amnesia will set in and we’ll soon forget these last three years. The whole time we’ve been building we’ve reminded ourselves: “This isn’t the dream house.” It’s an investment and we DO plan to sell it. So, I guess we’ll eventually need to find the dream house. And, if we can’t find it, well, we may just have to build it.

1 comment:

Afternoon Stache said...

MORE PICTURES!