Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Frugal Gourmet

I have never been a coupon clipper, but having a baby has brought out the frugal in me. I salivate over $1 off coupons on my favorite diapers and find myself purchasing quantities of baby wipes beyond my monthly need just to get a discount. But my greatest find to date has been the Callao Buy Rite, a sort of supermarket outlet store where one can purchase those cereal boxes that got slightly crushed during shipping for an extreme discount or stock that's expiration date is drawing near. I rarely made the drive, which is only about 15 minutes out of my normal circuit, until Sawyer started formula. I have since discovered that the baby aisle is a veritable gold mine. A large container of Organic Similac formula, which runs about $26 at Target costs $9.99 at Buy Rite. Yes, it expires in a month, but I will use it in a week or two. Four ounce jars of organic baby food sell 5 for $1. So I purchased 25 jars of baby food and a large container of formula for $15 today and practically danced out the door.


(Click on photo to view larger)

In the meantime, Sawyer is becoming more mobile. I was snapping some shots of him today to show how well he holds his bottle when he took an interest in the camera and managed to crawl-scoot his way over to me. The pain of teething has finally eased and I hope to soon document his pearly white grin.



Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!

4 comments:

Sarah Q said...

sawyer is totally ready to start truckin' across the floor. and with that Mr.T hairdo he'll be doin' it in style. happy valentine's day WSJ!

Afternoon Stache said...

Sarah said "happy valentine's day WSJ!" William Sawyer Jermaine?
What's the "J" stand for? An inside joke to which I am not privy (governor)? Well, the Mr. T part was funny anyway. Hannibal always had to feed Mr. T warm milk to get him on an airplane. Your "Mr. J" might start requiring a glass lest he pity the fool holding back on his nap time.

Sarah Q said...

i wonder why i did say J? the j and p aren't even near each other on the keyboard. do i know someone a WSJ? maybe it's from WWJD?

Anonymous said...

I am amazed to see how much he can do for himself, like hold his bottle and kind-of-crawl! Can he go from laying down to a sitting position on his own? Emma couldn't do any of the above until after her first birthday. She learned to roll over at six months and then did not do anything for seven more months! So, to me he is a wonder-boy!
And I really wish I was closer to the Callao Buy Rite . . .
Have you registered at the Similac website? They will send you checks you can use at the store for $5 and sometimes more.