Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Believe me

Before I became a mom, I had a list of philosophies about parenthood ¬– most of which have become obsolete in the face of reality.

I thought I would make my own baby food.

Reality: Every time I stick something in the blender – bananas, avocados – Sawyer gags on it and then throws up.

I thought I would breastfeed for a year.

Reality: Bottles are liberating.

I thought I wouldn’t baby proof. Who wants a kid that doesn’t understand the concept of fragile? You can’t take them anywhere.

Reality: It’s so nice to be able to have rooms where he can crawl about and explore without constant oversight.

I thought I would have a kid I could take anywhere.

Reality: Sawyer is 7 months old and I haven’t traveled on a plane with him yet. The prospect of doing so is making me hyperventilate. How will he take naps? How will he do on the plane? What will he play with? Where will he sleep?

I thought my kid would take naps.

Reality: He doesn’t. Well not long ones.

I thought I would have no problem leaving my kid for the weekend.

Reality: In three weeks, he is having his first overnight stay with his grandparents, and I have been writing the list of things they need to know in my head for a month.

I thought I would never make two meals for my family – one for the kids and one for the adults.

Reality: I haven’t gotten there yet. But, I’ve realized that my concepts of parenthood are malleable.

1 comment:

kitty said...

god this is so true. you'll be fine flying. i think you'll actually find it's fun because you're so focused on keeping the baby entertained the time, well ... flies. just let him nap in your arms -- practice it a little the days before you go.the worst part is the time change and overnight sleeping in a new place. i have tips for those too. let me know if you want 'em. xoxo