Sunday, July 30, 2006

hats in the hospital


When babies are born at Memorial Regional, they are immediately donned a lightweight cotton skull cap. I loved this cap and I wanted to keep it. But Sawyer returned from his first trip to the hospital nursery wearing - to my horror - a thick wool knitted hat with a pom-pom on top. It was, after all, July, and the hospital recovery room was bordering on too warm. And, the wool hat just did not seem appropriate for lounging around in bed all day.
I asked the nurses if I could get a hat like the one he was given when he was born. They just looked at me, bewildered, and said, "But, our volunteers make these hats."
Oh. I felt like a big B.
When they left I took his hat off. The next time he returned from the nursery, however, he was wearing another pom-pom. I took this one off too.
It soon became a battle between me and the nurses. They put a hat on, I took it off, they put a new hat on, I took it off - day after day.
Let's just say, I am now well stocked for winter.

No comments: