Friday, July 14, 2006

Week 27

How your baby's growing: Your baby is really starting to fill up your uterus. This week he weighs almost 2 pounds and is about 14.4 inches long with his legs extended. He can now open and close his eyes, and he sleeps and wakes at regular intervals. He may suck his fingers, and although his lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with assistance — if he were to be born prematurely. Chalk up any rhythmic movement you may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common from now on. Each episode usually lasts only a few moments, and isn't bothersome to him, so enjoy the tickle. With more brain tissue developing, your baby's brain is very active now. Wonder what he's thinking?

"Little Man's" movements have become much more pronounced lately and sometime watching my stomach move is more fascinating than TV. I don't doubt that he's running out of room and I think sometimes he is just trying to stretch me out with all his exercises. While many women may wish for a fast and early delivery, fears of the baby coming too early or too fast haunt me at night. My worst case scenario would be if the baby came early and the house wasn't ready yet. We're racing the clock. Just last night I dreamed that he was born a full month early and because 36 weeks is considered "full term" the hospital sent me home with this teeny tiny little baby and I totally wasn't ready. It seems like everyone hears horror stories when they are pregnant. Everyone keeps telling me stories of going to a regular doctors appointment only to find the baby is crowning or deliveries that last an hour and a half. The nearest hospital to us that delivers babies is an hour and a half drive from home, and I really don't want to have this baby in the Wal-Mart parking lot (and it happens around here with some frequency -- another major concern is getting pulled over by state troopers who hold you up even longer). Of course, if everything goes as planned I will be a week late and have an 8 hour long labor resulting in a healthy 6.5 pound baby. I don't want to push it too far the other way.... No three days in labor, three weeks late, or 11 pound babies thank you very much.

But, as my mom put it, the minute we get pregnant, our lives are no longer our own to control. We become completely devoted and dedicated (and bound) to our child and his schedule.

Stayed tuned for wedding news and photos (for those who weren't there). I will pass them on as soon as they become available.

No comments: