Friday, July 14, 2006

Week 37

How your baby's growing: Congratulations! Your pregnancy is now considered full term — meaning your baby is developmentally ready to handle life outside the womb. (Babies born before 37 weeks are pre-term and those born after 42 weeks are post-term.) Your baby probably weighs a little over 6 pounds at this point and measures between 19 and 20 inches, head to heel.

Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children are born blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz.

Now is the time to start the pool. It's anybody's guess when this baby will be born. As of my doctor's appt this morning, I am 1 cm dilated and 50 percent effaced.... for those of you who understand the jargon. Baby's heart rate was 150, my bp was normal and - get this - I haven't gained so much as a pound in the last month!! (I am celebrating with a quarter pounder and a chocolate milkshake for lunch). The baby has dropped but is still kicking up a storm. Doctor says it could be tomorrow or it could be three weeks. Scott and I did our big shop Sunday and purchased all the remaining essentials. We didn't get home until 9 p.m. but I made him build the shelf we bought so I could start putting things away. (If Justin had been awake to count cuss words, he'd be rich). Anyway, I am personally rooting for an early delivery - but what pregnant woman in July isn't. The godparents are down this week staying with my folks. I've attached my column that appeared in last week's Rappahannock Record for your further amusement.
Happy Fourth of July everyone.
Reid

PS - We are also taking bets on baby's hair color. I am personally guessing spiky and dark.

No comments: