Monday, July 17, 2006

Week 39

The only news here is NO NEWS.

Our baby is officially ready to greet the world this week. I remain slightly dilated and almost completely effaced. The baby's head is "engaged" in my pelvis and ready to go. According to the doctor, there is no reason I shouldn't be having a baby this week.... but it could be next week ... don't you hate the way doctors can never be firm about anything. She is willing to let me go two weeks late, but we won't talk about that until next week's appointment (which is on my due date). Almost everyone who has looked at me this morning has predicted that it will happen this week. My plan is to try to ignore the fact that I am even pregnant. Hopefully the week will go by quickly.

Seven days from my due date and I must say that I am now OFFICIALLY uncomfortable. I have to use all four limbs to pry myself out of the car, and turning over in bed in the middle of the night is like trying to flip a beached whale. If possible, I have grown even larger since last week.

Any way you look at it, Scott and I will have a new baby in the next few weeks. That thought is enough to hyperventilate me. I am so excited, but I also realize that my life is about to change forever in unpredictable ways. What a strange place to be standing - one foot on each side of the county line - looking back and looking ahead.

I hope the next time I write to you all it will be with good news.

No comments: