Sunday, July 30, 2006

July 25 - the day of the doctor


Today we had to return Richmond for our new baby appointment, which meant a four-hour round trip in the car.... because not only can you NOT deliver a baby in the Northern Neck, apparently there are no pediatricians here either. Complicating matters is my still-present temperature, now up to 102. My doctor wants to see me in her office back here before 2:30.
After a great night of sleep (Sawyer only woke us up once between 10 pm and 6 am), my mom and I are off to the pediatricians. She drives my Suby. Sawyer sleeps the whole way! Of course, the challenge with a newborn and a 2-hour car ride is that as soon as you get there, the baby needs to eat. I knew what would happen. As soon as the doctor called us in, Sawyer would start screaming from starvation. And, that's pretty much how it went down. I explained our situation to both the nurse and the doctor, hoping they would realize that I wasn't really such a bad mom after all.
The nurse praised the shape of Sawyers head: "I've never seen such a perfectly-shaped head on a baby who was delivered vaginally." I beamed. I didn't realize until then that a "perfectly-shaped" head was something to be proud of.
The doctor was thrilled to see that Sawyer, who was down to 6 pounds 15 ounces when we left the hospital, was now back up to 7 pounds 4 ounces. He told me I could let him sleep as long as he wanted a night. No need to wake him up to feed him. Yippee.
Then they left us in the office and I gave Sawyer a quick snack. In the Panera parking lot, I gave him another quick snack. We drove two hours to my doctor who was going to "squeeze me in." Expecting a long wait, I sat in the back of the car to finally try to give Sawyer a decent meal. Three gulps later, they were calling me in. I tried again while waiting for the doctor to come into the examining room. She appeared almost immediately.
Turns out I had the onset of endometritis, an infection of the uterus. It can make you really sick really fast, she said. Not something to mess with. She put me on antibiotics.
Tried to feed Sawyer in the grocery store parking lot and at CVS while we were waiting for our prescription. Poor guy just couldn't catch a decent meal. But he remained calm. Didn't cry. What a trooper!
Mom worked it at the drive-thru window to speed things up. In a very un-Anne-like high voice she said, "We have a tiny little baby.... see? Here, let me pull up just a little so you can see. He's only four days old! Is there any way we can get that prescription in under an hour?"
Worked like a charm.
Finally home, Sawyer ate like a beast.
My beastly fever cleared up the next day.

No comments: