Friday, July 14, 2006

Week 26

Our baby now weighs a little under 2 pounds and measures about 14 inches, from head to heel. The nerve pathways in his ears are developing, which means his response to sounds is growing more consistent. His lungs are developing now, too, as he continues to take small breaths of amniotic fluid — good practice for when he's born and takes that first breath of air.

We head to New Orleans Wednesday for Ross and Niki's wedding and can't wait to see many of you there. We are all ready to go: bridesmaid's dress altered and groomsman's kilt in hand.

My tummy seems to have expanded quite a bit in recent weeks. No mistaking it. The most frequent question I get these days is: "Have you felt the baby move?" The answer is a resounding "Yes!" In fact, I can't believe just how much he moves. It seems like in the last two weeks he has become much more active, or maybe he is just running out of room in there. I feel him moving when I wake up, when I go to bed and at all hours in between. (Keep asking myself: Is this a sign of things to come?) If I am holding a book on my belly, sometimes it will jump when the baby kicks underneath it and, if you watch for long enough, you may be able to see the skin of my belly wriggle. Of course, if you want to try to feel a little kick, you have to be patient. He seems to have a sixth sense about when other people come over to touch my tummy and he always stops whatever he's doing and sits still.

According to my pregnancy calendar, this is the last week of my second trimester. I guess I soon get to say goodbye to the fun parts of being pregnant and hello to bloating, back pain and behemoth-dom. But, right now I feel great. The last three months have been a joy and, without the first trimester nausea and the third trimester waddle, I have enjoyed myself. I realize that I will never be able to experience pregnancy in the same way again, so I want to enjoy it. If I do have another one at some point - and let's get through this one first - I know I will be too busy running around and taking care of Child #1 o notice the details I do now. I figure that this is the time to indulge myself in the little joys and changes I am experiencing. If there is ever a Child #2, it will be lucky to get a monthly update, not to mention a weekly one.

Those of you who are traveling, whether to the wedding or elsewhere, be safe!

Much love,

Reid

No comments: