Friday, July 14, 2006

Week 21

Hello everybody!
My baby update this week noted that I "may soon feel like my baby is practicing martial arts as his initial fluttering movements turn into full-fledged kicks and nudges." I actually got my first hint that I was having a boy when he started moving at 17 weeks-- the movements never felt so much like a butterfly as a bat trapped in a box. Now the jabs can be felt through my clothing and Scott got his first good kick last night - at long last, enough of the "I think I felt something's"

The update also said "You may also discover a pattern to his activity as you get to know him better. Some babies are restless in the evening, for example, just as you're trying to fall asleep." As I noted last week, I definitely have a night owl on my hands. He's active all afternoon and when I lay down to sleep he's practicing his disco moves, but I never feel him move much in the morning. Like me, he enjoys sleeping in.

I had an appointment today, and all is well. I've gained 15 pounds in the first 21 weeks. Now, my doctor says, I should gain about a pound a week. It's a little scary to think about. I can hardly bend over to use the dust pan when I sweep as it is. And putting shoes and socks on has become an added challenge. My coworker even giggled as she said I was "dragging my way across the parking lot" this afternoon with all that extra weight. Another 20 pounds? Its hard to imagine. Scott is very pleased, however, that a lot of the weight appears to have been gained in the "Dolly Parton" arena.

I am looking forward to two trips in April. First a long weekend in LA just before my birthday to spend with the Madeira Girls. Sarah Quainton is expecting a baby in May so we will be showering her and relaxing in a condo by the beach. Scott will be off for a boy's weekend with Justin, so I must return home for a birthday alone, full of work, doctor's appointments and meetings.

Then, of course, Ross's long-awaited wedding is coming up and we will get to spend five days in New Orleans where we may not want to swim in the water, or even drink it, but we will be guaranteed a raucous weekend-long celebration and hopefully some beignets and (decaf) coffee.

I may have to sneak away one more time before my "confinement" period begins around 32 weeks - not that I'm really confined, just that I shouldn't travel long distances. Justin is coming out in mid-June for the whole summer, so he will get to be here when his baby brother is born. We are currently signing him up for camp with swimming, golfing, tennis and sailing as well as some time chilling out at home with me, and the babe when he gets here.

My plan is to spend the entire month of July floating in giant inner tube in my parent's pool armed with a glass of lemonade, an ugly bathing suit, and a large brimmed hat.

Otherwise all is well. The house is coming along, albeit slowly, and Scott and I were out there together on Sunday building a section of roof. (Actually, he did most of the hammering but I did carry lumber, hand him tools and climb ladders. He even let me use the nail gun once, but, due to enormous kickback, I ended up installing three nails every time instead of one, so I gave up quickly.)

Hope everyone is well.
Reid

No comments: