Friday, July 14, 2006

Week 28

How your baby's growing: By this week, your baby can open his eyes — which now sport lashes — and he'll turn her head toward a continuous, bright light from the outside. His fat layers are beginning to form, too, as he gets ready for life outside the womb.

How your life's changing:
Do your legs feel creepy-crawly at night? Tingling in your lower legs and an irresistible urge to move them is known as restless legs syndrome (RLS), and it can make it hard to relax when you're settling in. No one knows what causes RLS, but it's common among pregnant women. Try cutting down on caffeine, which can make the symptoms worse, and massage your calves when they feel tense. Some studies also show that taking iron supplements helps ease your discomfort.

That's an affirmative on the creepy-crawly leg thing. Also this week I am feeling overwhelmingly tired. I don't know if it's the pollen and time of year, the heavy work load this week at the paper, or the fact that I am now into my third trimester. I am also feeling BIG. I think I have grown since New Orleans (a week ago). Even dad said I looked big now. He told me that it's "the beginning of the end." When will men learn that you don't say things like that to a pregnant woman? Just the other day I was at the gas station getting a cup of decaf and a donut on my way to work and this short, bald, squat, middle aged man turns to me and says: "Take it easy on the donuts. After all, you are what you eat." If you are what you eat, I'd rather be a chocolate iced donut with pretty sprinkles than a sack of potatoes. But, whatever, he's lucky I was in good humor. If he said that to me today I would probably have socked him. Nevertheless, I started this morning out with an oat bran english muffin and a cup of herbal tea. Scott and I got together with my parents this weekend for our first big crab feast of the summer. I think we ate at least a dozen crabs each. You ladies should be getting an update from Jen soon, but we changed the DC shower date to the weekend of June 10 to hopefully accommodate more people and make it a little further away from my due date. I understand most of you are all far away and probably can't make it, and I know I'll be seeing some of you earlier or later in the summer, but in case any of you want to some see me big and fat, I thought I would keep you abreast of the plan.

Until next week.
Reid

No comments: